Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Beatnick & K-Salaam - Common S.T.O.R.Y.




Okay, so here is the story: for the last 4 months I have been heavy on the grind. Spending most of my time throwing shows, DJing clubs/events, doing interviews, building relationships with artists, setting up tours, shopping beats, etc… Now, while I was busy doing all of that, my production partner, the young and multi-talented Beatnick, was heavy in the lab cooking up some new sounds. I remember there was a little stretch where we hadn’t spoken to each other in a minute, and he almost seemed like a different person. I had a hunch that he had stumbled upon some new musical ideas. Then I recall very clearly walking into his studio one day and being completely blown away when all of the sudden the most vibrant and dynamic sounds that I had ever heard completely took over me. I realized right then and there that his musical capabilities had reached another plateau in that he was creating something that was completely new, and did not sound like anything that had come before it. 99% of artists never reach that point. I’m talking even great artists…

I will say this, I have been around what I consider to be some of the most talented people of our generation: Just Blaze, Pharoahe Monch, Sizzla, Buju Banton, Bobbito Garcia, Suheir Hammad, Mos Def, and others… I can say in all honesty that Beatnick is on the same level as these people. I am aware that this is a bold statement, but I know what I see and even more importantly, -> I know what I hear.

With that said, the sounds that I heard coming out of Beatnick’s studio that day would ultimately be the building blocks to what defines us as a production team; and in my humble opinion, what is going to define the direction of music for years to come. Okay, so maybe my opinion isn’t so “humble,” but at least it’s honest. Either way, this project is what is going to introduce us to the world. And for that, I am proud and excited.

One thing about this Common Remix Project that you cannot say is this: you cannot say that we didn’t create a new sound.

~K-Salaam

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Radio Retaliation © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness